Norwood Hall

Norwood Hall
Norwood Hall

Story by Janet Boam

Norwood Hall stood on Herries Road where Burrows Drive is today. Built in 1713 for William Taylor, it was taken over in 1775 by James Whiat and remained in his family until 1915. In 1918 it became “Bishopsholme”, home to Leonard Hedley Burrows, first Bishop of Sheffield, hence the street names Bishopsholme Road and Burrows Drive.

In 1969 I moved to Boynton Road, just round the corner from Norwood. By then it was in a state of disrepair. Walking past at night with the moon shining through the trees it resembled a scene from Dracula.

Our neighbour used to tell the story of his daughter who was friendly with the daughter of the caretaker at Norwood when it was a hostel. They were playing one day when he gave them money to go and buy sweets. When they returned he had killed his wife!

In the early 1970s the Hallamshire Historic Buildings Society did their utmost to get Norwood renovated as it was the only example of Queen Anne architecture in the area. It was not to be. In the 1970s, the council bulldozers moved in and sadly Norwood Hall is no more.

The only remaining evidence of its existence is a painting in the possession of Museums Sheffield, who have now begun a campaign to restore it. More information on the Norwood Hall conservation appeal can be found here: appeal.

<< | Up | >>

Print version

The content on this page was added to the website by Graham Jones on 2016-06-11 15:32:04.
The content of the page was last modified by John Mellor on 2016-09-28 12:19:15.

Follow us on Twitter @TheBMessenger

All content is copyright © Burngreave Messenger Ltd. or its voluntary contributors, unless otherwise stated, not to be reproduced without permission. If you have any comments, or are interested in contributing to the Messenger and getting involved, please contact us.

Burngreave Messenger Ltd. Abbeyfield Park House, Abbeyfield Road, Sheffield S4 7AT.
Telephone: 0114 242 0564. Email:
Company Limited by Guarantee: 04642734
Registered Charity: 1130836

The Burngreave Messenger is a community newspaper with editorial independence, funded by the Big Lottery, Foyle Foundation, Trusthouse Charitable Foundation, the Garfield Weston Foundation, the Scurrah Wainwright Charity, local residents and our advertisers.

Help the Messenger with a donation