Fire on Pitsmoor Road

House on Fire
House on Fire

Story: Carrie Hedderwick, Sheffield City Council Photo: Ben Kirby

As local people have seen, there was a fierce house fire on Pitsmoor Road on 5th January. All members of the family managed to get out of the house, although one man had to jump from a first floor window.

I was visiting a house on Burngreave Road the next day with another officer from the Council’s Private Sector Housing team and happened to meet members of the family who had escaped from the fire. Fortunately, everyone is safe, although the man who had to jump has sustained some injuries.

We then went on to view the firedamaged property. South Yorkshire Fire Service had returned to the site to fit smoke detectors in neighbouring properties.

Officers in our team also advise on fire safety. We liaise regularly with the Fire Service. Whenever we are called to people’s homes to inspect properties for different types of disrepair, we also check to see there is adequate smoke detection and that the layout of the property allows for a safe exit route.

Key points to remember whether you own or rent your home

  • The fire service will fit 10-year lithium-battery smoke alarms for free.

  • Regularly check that smoke alarms are working.

  • When cooking, do not leave pans on burners unattended.

  • Watch out for loose clothing or tea towels near open flames.

  • Clean cookers – fat and grease can ignite a fire.

  • If you deep fry food, use a thermostat electric deep fat fryer.

  • Try and keep one plug to one socket.

  • Make sure any electrical appliance has a British or European safety mark.

  • Check sockets and plugs for scorch marks or overheating.

  • Unplug appliances when not in use.

  • With portable heaters, try to secure and position them against a wall.

  • Never smoke in bed.

  • Stub out cigarettes in water

  • Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.

  • Be very careful with candles –there was a recent fire in Page Hall caused by a lit candle.

For free smoke alarms and fire safety advice: South Yorkshire Fire Service – 0114 253 2314

For general housing disrepair advice: Sheffield Council – 0114 273 4680

Logged in users of the website can add comments to this page.
Login to this site if you'd like to add a comment. Sign-up for an account if you are not currently a member.

<< | Up | >>

Print version

The content on this page was added to the website by Derrick Okrah on 2010-01-28 20:22:31.
The content of the page was last modified by Lisa Swift on 2010-02-01 00:51:07.

Follow us on Twitter @TheBMessenger

All content is copyright © Burngreave Messenger Ltd. or its voluntary contributors, unless otherwise stated, not to be reproduced without permission. If you have any comments, or are interested in contributing to the Messenger and getting involved, please contact us.

Burngreave Messenger Ltd. Abbeyfield Park House, Abbeyfield Road, Sheffield S4 7AT.
Telephone: 0114 242 0564. Email:
Company Limited by Guarantee: 04642734
Registered Charity: 1130836

The Burngreave Messenger is a community newspaper with editorial independence, funded by the Big Lottery, Foyle Foundation, Trusthouse Charitable Foundation, the Garfield Weston Foundation, the Scurrah Wainwright Charity, local residents and our advertisers.

Help the Messenger with a donation