A new home for old books

Winnie Bentley
Winnie Bentley

Story: Christina White

Winnie Bentley has been the custodian for many years of two books detailing the members and minutes of the Abbeyfield Bowling Club dating from 1913. They have now found a new home in the Local Studies Library where they will be available for future generations to read.

History of bowling

Bowls were first played in this country as far back as the 12th Century and Sheffield's 13th Century Castle had a bowling green at its centre. Probably the first bowling green in this area was Pitsmoor Bowling Club, founded in 1857 and situated at the top of Roe Lane.

As bowling became more popular, the "General Purposes and Parks Committee" recommended in 1905 that Bowling Greens be provided in the Hillsborough, High Hazels, Meersbrook and Firth Parks, at a cost of £800.

Abbeyfield Park Bowling Club

Abbeyfield Park Bowling Club was founded on 3rd July 1913 at a meeting held in Abbeyfield House. The Club was for men only and had fifty-nine members. They held knock-out competitions with the club funds offering prizes of up to 15 shillings. Eventually the members started playing friendly matches with other clubs, which led to them joining the Parks League. The ladies team was founded in the thirties.

Extracts from the book

June 1916

"With regards to providing tea for members from Stocksbridge, I went to the Town Hall to see Mr Partington if we could have a room in Abbeyfield House but he told me there was not the slightest possible chance as there had been so much agitation from various sources as to the use of the house... It was afterwards proposed that Mr Rotherham, the proprietor of the Bay Horse, be approached to see if he can supply our Stocksbridge friends with a good and reasonable tea."

July 1916

"That wounded soldiers at Firshill be invited to play on the green, any afternoon from 2 - 7 pm... that the soldiers be allowed to play free."

October 1961

"Congratulations Mrs Clarke on her achievements in 1961, having won the Telegraph Cup and the Bank Holiday Merits and bringing the honours to Abbeyfield Club."

Family history

Andrew Wright, who now lives in Hungary, visited this summer, and was delighted to find his relative was a founder member. He knew his grandfather lived at 1, Shirecliffe Lane, which was the Post Office in 1911. Sure enough, he found E Farnsworth, Pitsmoor Post Office in the book. Why not go to the Local Studies Library in the Central Library and see if one of your ancestors was a founder member.

Local History class

The Messenger runs a local history class once a month at a local venue.

We look at old maps, newspapers, directories and often use the internet and the library to help our research The group is friendly and enthusiastic, and would welcome new members.

Call the Messenger to find out more on 242 0564.

Logged in users of the website can add comments to this page.
Login to this site if you'd like to add a comment. Sign-up for an account if you are not currently a member.

<< | Up | >>

Print version

The content on this page was added to the website by Chris Blythe on 2010-11-28 22:16:30.
The content of the page was last modified by Jamie Marriott on 2010-11-29 16:28:26.

Follow us on Twitter @TheBMessenger

All content is copyright © Burngreave Messenger Ltd. or its voluntary contributors, unless otherwise stated, not to be reproduced without permission. If you have any comments, or are interested in contributing to the Messenger and getting involved, please contact us.

Burngreave Messenger Ltd. Abbeyfield Park House, Abbeyfield Road, Sheffield S4 7AT.
Telephone: 0114 242 0564. Email: mail@burngreavemessenger.org
Company Limited by Guarantee: 04642734
Registered Charity: 1130836

The Burngreave Messenger is a community newspaper with editorial independence, funded by the Big Lottery, Foyle Foundation, Trusthouse Charitable Foundation, the Garfield Weston Foundation, the Scurrah Wainwright Charity, local residents and our advertisers.

Help the Messenger with a donation